FreeBSD update

Istvan Gabor suseuser04 at lajt.hu
Mon Oct 8 15:12:27 UTC 2012

Hello:

I updated FreeBSD 9.0 RELEASE
(FreeBSD  9.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #0: Tue Jan  3 07:15:25 UTC 2012
root at obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386)
using freebsd-update fetch and freebsd-update install commands.
As I remember correctly during the fetch I saw a message that the current patch level is p4.
After rebooting the computer uname gives p3 on the updated system:

# uname -r
9.0-RELEASE-p3

If I run freebsd-update fetch on the updated system I get:

# freebsd-update fetch
Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 3 mirrors found.
Fetching metadata signature for 9.0-RELEASE from update5.FreeBSD.org... done.
Fetching metadata index... done.
Inspecting system... done.
Preparing to download files... done.

No updates needed to update system to 9.0-RELEASE-p4.

The file /usr/src/sys/conf/newvers.sh on the updated system also indicates p4 state.
TYPE="FreeBSD"
REVISION="9.0"
BRANCH="RELEASE-p4"

Why does uname reports p3 while freebsd-update indicates p4 state?

Regards,

Istvan