Xterm options for correct man page display?

Jamie Paul Griffin jamie at kode5.net
Sun Oct 7 08:09:17 UTC 2012

[ Thomas Dickey wrote on Sat  6.Oct'12 at  7:32:00 -0400 ]

> On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 07:31:07AM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 10:45:52AM +0100, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> > > [ Ronald F. Guilmette wrote on Sat  6.Oct'12 at  2:25:04 -0700 ]

> > > It will most likely be due to your locale settings. Also, I experimented with fonts in xterm and uxterm, only the default font allowed unicode charaters to display, so I am now using urxvt and it works great. I also changed my pager option in the shell start up file to less as opposed to more, and set lesscharset environment variable, man pages display fine now for me.
> >
> > For people using UTF-8, the uxterm script works out of the box...
> >
> > The usual problem with fonts is from overwriting the utf8Fonts resource
> > setting via a too-wide "fonts" wildcard pattern.
>
> For example
>
> 	http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#utf8_fonts

Hi Thomas - is understand what your saying about uxterm - it does display utf8 fonts correctly when leaving the font resource alone, but the default font is very small, too small for my eyes.

I installed a large number of utf8 supported X fonts, the ones I've tried don't display Chinese or Korean, or Russian fonts etc. It became a little frustrating which made me change to another terminal. The link you provided doesn't appear to be active. Would you be kind enough to show the resource settings you have used?

I spent a long time reading through the man page and trying out different resource settings and combinations of them, European fonts were never a problem, just the east Asian characters and Russian characters as I mentioned.

I've set my locale to en_GB.UTF-8 using /etc/login.conf and then cap_mkdb /etc/login.conf. As I said in my previous email, urxvt has no problem displaying these characters but I'd like to get uxterm working properly none the less, as I'm sure the OP does as well.

Best wishes, Jamie