sockstat

Steve O'Hara-Smith ateve at sohara.org
Tue Oct 2 22:02:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 16:26:59 -0500
ajtiM <lumiwa at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 October 2012 05:50:57 Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 05:42:51 -0500
> >
> > ajtiM <lumiwa at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > I have FreeBSD 9.1-RC1 #0 and I running KDE 4.8.4 too.
> > > If I run KDE and try sockstat -l46 I get:
> > >
> > > sockstat -l46
> > > USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN
> > > ADDRESS ajtim    knemo      35725 10 udp4   *:*                   *:*
> > > root     Xorg       33842 1  tcp6   *:6000                *:*
> > > root     Xorg       33842 3  tcp4   *:6000                *:*
> > >
> > > Is it normal root Xorg...
> > > I am running Xorg (kde) as user.
> >
> > 	Yes, the X server needs device access not available to normal
> > users so it run setuid root.
>
> Thank you.
>  I have no in /usr/local/bin/startx
> clientargs="-nolisten tcp"

	You don't need this in clientargs, serverargs is the right place.
It should be harmless though, I think.

> serverargs="-nolisten tcp"
> and is okay.

	That serverargs should prevent those sockets being used, so no not
OK if the sockets are still open.

	In general though it's best to pass these to startx (perhaps from
another script) rather than editing it, your changes will get lost next
time startx gets updated.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith <ateve at sohara.org>