BSD on IOS hardware

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Tue Oct 2 19:19:48 UTC 2012

On 02/10/2012 22:58, Rares Aioanei wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 10:18:06 -0400
> Greg Freeman <mail at gefreeman.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to load FreeBSD on an Apple Mobile device designed to
>> run IOS?  There are a lot of old iPads out there.  If we could
>> repurpose them to straight Unix pads that might be cool.  From there
>> shells and then maybe an open source alternative to IOS or Android.
>> Maybe a way for people to get free of the info
>> pirates
>
> How do you intend to type on it?

While apple offers a bluetooth keyboard I have seen docks with a
keyboard built in. The other option is that the system will need xorg
installed as the minimum setup so you have a touch screen with onscreen
keyboard.

The ipad/ipod would be a target that netbsd may try - I don't believe
they have though.

I don't think they support the newer touch screen devices but rockbox is
an opensource ipod (and other mp3 players) firmware replacement.
It could be a starting point for booting another OS.

Having said that I think your best bet would probably be jailbreaking
the ipad so you get more control over what you can install.
Search for cydia