Port update hosed entire system

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Oct 1 06:02:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, 1 Oct 2012 20:08:29 -0400, Rod Person wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was attempting to update ports that used libogg with the command
>
> portmaster -d -y -r libogg
>
> I went away and came back some hours later and some updates had failed.
> Now my shell segfaults on any command such as ls, clear or su
> I tried to login on another console as root and after giving the
> password it just goes back to login. I am at a loss as to what to do to
> fix this one.

That sounds like a really weird problem. FreeBSD and the
ports (which portmaster deals with) are separated systems,
so even if you totally hose your ports, the OS should not
be affected.

You're mentioning the shell: Which one is it? In case it's
a shell from ports, _maybe_ that is a problem. In case of
root, it should have the system's default shell /bin/csh;
the system's scripting and emergency shell /bin/sh should
also work.

You can get into a state for "tests under mostly defined
circumstances" by entering the single user mode and check
things, then continue to boot, and finally install what
was lost. In worst case, reinstall everything (see EXAMPLES
section in "man portmaster").

In ultra-worst case, remove the /usr/local subtree (copy
everything you might need afterwards, e. g. config files
and your scripts!), repopulate it using the mtree file,
and reinstall what you need. That will pull in any dependencies
you may not have thought of in the first place.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany