Cannot boot - creating partition and installing FreeBSD is [solved]

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Thu Nov 29 04:11:56 UTC 2012

On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> PS:
> spinymouse at q:/boot$ grep CONFIG_UFS_FS config-3.6.5-rt14
> CONFIG_UFS_FS=m
> # CONFIG_UFS_FS_WRITE is not set
> spinymouse at q:/boot$ lsmod | grep ufs
> spinymouse at q:/boot$ sudo modprobe ufs
> [sudo] password for spinymouse:
> spinymouse at q:/boot$ lsmod | grep ufs
> ufs                    74797  0
>
> So for write access I've got to build the kernel again. No problem,
> since I anyway build the kernel-rt myself.
>
> Still strange, when I try to mount it by using Nautilus I get:
>
> Unable to mount 62 GB Volume
>
> Error mounting /dev/sda1 at /media/spinymouse/disk: Command-line `mount
> -t "ufs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sda1"
> "/media/spinymouse/disk"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount:
> wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sda1,
>       missing codepage or helper program, or other error
>       In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>       dmesg | tail  or so

It's trying to mount the whole slice rather than individual FreeBSD
partitions inside that slice.  I don't know how--or if--Linux has a way
to refer to those partitions.  The FreeBSD notation would be ada0s1a,
ada0s1b (swap), ada0s1d, ada0s1e.  "c" refers to the whole disk, not an
individual partition.

> There's still the multi-boot issue. How to boot FreeBSD and Linux.

Grub can do it, as can others.  Can't speak to the details, though.