When Is The Ports Tree Going To Be Updated?

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:13:35 UTC 2012

Matthew Seaman wrote:

[snip]

>> And now I need to find an alternative to handle the src updates using svn
>> or something...
>
> SVN works, but isn't amazingly quick.  If you're on a release branch you
> can get the src (and just the src) using freebsd-update(8), which should
> be pretty speedy and which I think is going to be the officially blessed
> method for non-developers to keep up to date.  Although anyone will
> still be able to use SVN if they want to.
>
> You'll need to tweak /etc/freebsd-update.conf slightly to get just the
> system sources.  It's pretty obvious what to do.

As a result of the security incident I switched away from csup and am now
using portsnap for ports, and svn for source. The only disconcerting item I
noticed is the 500-some MB .svn directory now under /usr/src/.

Can using freebsd-update for source update(s) eliminate the need for this
500MB waste of space? Or is there some switch for svn which could accomplish
same?

Thanks - Mike