Manually partitioning using gpart

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Mon Nov 26 02:26:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 02:22 +0100, Lucas B. Cohen wrote:
> Hi Warren,
>
> On 2012.11.25 21:49, Warren Block wrote:
> > For a hard drive, 4K alignment and starting the main partition at 1M is
> > good.
> Why would one leave 1024 full kbits before the first partition on a HDD ?

"Create a partition for /. It should start at the 1M boundary for proper
sector alignment on 4K sector drives or SSDs. This is compatible with
GPT drive layout for many other systems. Give it a GPT label of
gprootfs." - http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/disksetup.html

It doesn't explain it for me, but at least it might be an explanation
for somebody with more knowledge?