How to create a partition for FreeBSD 9.0?

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at rocketmail.com
Sun Nov 25 21:09:52 UTC 2012

I can't backup the whole HDDs :(. I backup some data from HDD1 to HDD2
and te other data from HDD2 to HDD1.

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 13:43 -0700, Warren Block wrote:
> Assuming the first slice has been deleted.

Correct.

> # gpart add -t freebsd -i1 ada0
>
> Create a FreeBSD disklabel/bsdlabel partitioning scheme inside the
> FreeBSD slice:
>
> # gpart create -s bsd da0s1
>
> Create FreeBSD partitions.  Sizes may be adjusted, but these will work.
>
> # gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 2g   da0s1
> # gpart add -t freebsd-swap -a 4k -s 512m da0s1
> # gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 1g   da0s1
> # gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k -s 256m da0s1
> # gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k         da0s1
>
> After you have done all this, you can go back and use the Partition
> selection in bsdinstall to enter types and mountpoints for each.  Or you
> can newfs each and then mount them, setting the location in
> BSDINSTALL_CHROOT.

I would prefer to continue with the installer.

However, I guess for my needs just / is needed, so I guess

# gpart add -t freebsd-swap -a 4k -s 512m da0s1
# gpart add -t freebsd-ufs  -a 4k         da0s1

is what I should run?!

512m (it doesn't matter to use m or M?) is enough swap? I've got 4GB
RAM. On Linux I use 2 swaps each around 2GB, but they are not much used.
For Linux there are no valid rules any more, how to set up the swap, or
at least I don't know the rules.

Thank you,
Ralf