using new pkgng system on 9.0 system

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Nov 23 21:16:20 UTC 2012

On 23/11/2012 19:19, Fbsd8 wrote:
> Where do I find the url for the beta-test server repositories?
> Can I use ftp or browser to see index content?

pkg.conf as supplied in the port-mgmt/pkg port comes with the right URL
for the FreeBSD pkg repo[*], which is currently pointing at the
beta-test repo, but which will in the fullness of time be changed to
point at the actual production repo.

No, in general you can't assume that you'll be able to browse the repo
using a web browser or similar.  Even if you could, all you'ld see is a
lot of pkg tarballs which would tell you the package names and versions
and how much data you'll need to download and not a lot else.  Use the
repo catalogue.  It can tell you almost anything you might want to know
about the available packages in the repo.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Note: the default URL uses an SRV record in the DNS, which typical
web browsers don't know how to handle.  You'll just get NXDOMAIN if you
try and point Firefox at it.

For those who know how to handle SRV records, it looks like this:

worm:~:% dig _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org IN SRV

; <<>> DiG 9.8.3-P4 <<>> _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org IN SRV
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;_http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org.	IN	SRV

;; ANSWER SECTION:
_http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org. 3600 IN	SRV	10 10 80 pkgbeta.FreeBSD.org.

;; Query time: 44 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Fri Nov 23 21:13:50 2012
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 83