using new pkgng system on 9.0 system

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Nov 22 16:05:47 UTC 2012

On 11/22/12 16:42, Fbsd8 wrote:
> Bas Smeelen wrote:

>>> Thanks, but your reply does not answer my question. I did not say
>>> anything about using portmaster.
>>>
>>> I want to use pkgng in native mode.
>>> I don't see pkgng in the ports system.
>>> How do I get pkgng loaded to a 9.0 system?
>>
>> That would be make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg install clean
>> and WITH_PKGNG=yes in /etc/make.conf
>> and convert the old pkgdb to ng with pkg2ng
>>

>> Sorry I awlays use ports so maybe there is a config thing to be done
>> also to find the right sites to get the packages from
>>

> I see the problem. It's called pkgng but in the ports system it's
> called pkg. Thought pkg was the old system. Silly me.
Not a problem.
The line in /etc/make.conf is used for when the ports or ports tools are
used, so the right package tools are invoked to register them in the
package database.
It is good to put this in to prevent a mess eventually when ports are
being used.
I switched most systems to the ng pkg tools, what I like very much about
it is that things are getting logged in messages. Also now you have one
pkg command with different operations for what you want to accomplish.

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.