using new pkgng system on 9.0 system

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Thu Nov 22 14:53:51 UTC 2012

On 11/22/2012 03:51 PM, Fbsd8 wrote:
> Since pkg is being replaced by pkgng in Release 10.0 I would like to get
> head start by playing with it on my 9.0 system.
>
> Where can I find a write up about installing and using pkgng?
>
> Have all the pkg packages been converted to pkgng format and are they
> being kept up to date?

Hi

It's in /usr/ports/UPDATING

20121015:
   AFFECTS: users of ports-mgmt/portmaster
   AUTHOR: bdrewery at FreeBSD.org

   Portmaster now supports pkgng. To use pkgng, enable the patch in the port,
   enable pkgng in your make.conf, and convert your existing /var/db/pkg
   database. Also see UPDATING entry 20121010 if you are on a recent CURRENT
   and do not want to use pkg.

   This is optional and not currently required.

   # make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg install clean
   # make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster config build deinstall install
clean
   # echo 'WITH_PKGNG=yes' >> /etc/make.conf
   # pkg2ng

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.