installworld strangeness

Markus Hoenicka markus.hoenicka at mhoenicka.de
Thu Nov 22 13:34:36 UTC 2012

David Noel <david.i.noel at gmail.com> was heard to say:

> I tried upgrading to 9.1 also but ran into a wall there as well:
>
> ===> usr.sbin/lpr/filters.ru (install)
> install -o root -g wheel  -m 444
> /usr/src9.1/usr.sbin/lpr/filters.ru/bjc-240.sh.sample
> /usr/libexec/lpr/ru
> ===> usr.sbin/lpr/filters.ru/koi2alt (install)
> install -s -o root -g wheel -m 555   koi2alt /usr/libexec/lpr/ru
> strip: could not create temporary file to hold stripped copy of
> /usr/libexec/lpr/ru/koi2alt
> *** [_proginstall] Error code 70
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1/usr.sbin/lpr/filters.ru/koi2alt.
> *** [realinstall] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1/usr.sbin/lpr/filters.ru.
> *** [realinstall] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1/usr.sbin/lpr.
> *** [realinstall] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1/usr.sbin.
> *** [realinstall] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1.
> *** [reinstall] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1.
> *** [installworld] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1.
> *** [installworld] Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/src9.1.
>
> Google points me to information that suggests the failure is caused by
> a lack of disk space, but that doesn't seem applicable to my case as I
> have plenty.
>
> Could anyone offer insight into either of these errors?

Total disk space may not be an issue here, but I faintly recall that
the default disk layout before 8.2 created too small a root partition.
Rebuilding a kernel on 8.1 required more disk space on / than the
default 500 MB. If that hits you here as well, you may need to resize
partitions.

regards,
Markus

--