Bind99 stopped resolving for external queries

Unga unga888 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 21 11:46:36 UTC 2012

Hi all

I'm running a FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE based server. It used to work fine. But suddenly about 2 days ago stopped resolving DNS for external queries.

>From my laptop if I ping the server:
ping www.mydoamin.com
ping: cannot resolve www.mydoamin.com: Host name lookup failure

But if I log in to the server and do the same ping, it works fine.

As a fix, I have upgraded the Bind99 to the latest bind99-base-9.9.2, but it did not fix the issue.

I don't see anything changed in my DNS server setup.

Appreciate very much if any help could be extended in this regard to understand what went wrong in the server.

Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Unga