portsnap

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 18:43:03 UTC 2012

Robert Bonomi <bonomi <at> mail.r-bonomi.com> writes:

> > > the authors of the portsnap docs (and the _numerous_ other applications
> > > that describe the use of certain keywords used as input to that
> > > appication ARE correct -- despite your boneheaded denial of that fact.

Yes, it is a keyword, a keyword parameter that tells CLI command what to do
(yes, a keyword that may be taken verbatim or translated into an internal
command parameter(s), a keyword that represents an action).
But, it is not a command, or parameter of type command.

> > With regard to definition of "a command" as we practice and argue about
> > here:
> >
> > In general (see bash(1), SHELL GRAMMAR, Simple Commands), a command is an
> > executable preceded by optional vars and followed by optional parameters.

> You lie.  A "command" does not have to have the attributes of a command-line
> invocation.

Well, a second nature ... But, it is an honor :-)

To drive the point:
let's assume that it is a valid syntax to pass a parameter like this:
"ls -al"
or much better, command="<command>", like this:
command="ls -al"
then it would be clear that a command (parameter) is passed to CLI command.
This kind of command parameter passing fulfilles the definition of a command
as referenced.

If you are familiar with C function system(), you will have easier time to
understand:
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/cstdlib/system/
The prototype is:
int system ( const char * command );
The command "ls -al" (yes, it is a command as referenced) is a parameter to
system() function:
system("ls -al");
It just says, execute that command "ls -al" in the existing execution
environment.

The reason I go so by the book about it is that "words have meaning" and
definitions :-)
jb