virtualbox with FreeBSD as host

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Nov 20 02:07:24 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 20:07:44 -0500
> Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>
> Snip ...
>
> > So how can I run rpd on the freebsd host running the virtualbox
> > server system so I can access the configured vm?  I this
> > configuration even possible?
> >

> I'll give it one last shot.
>
> CREATE/RUNNING <> ACCESSING !
>

> CREATE/RUN guests needs X11 ?  NO !

Right.  It's *much* easier if you can X forward the GUI, but you can
certainly configure everything you need with VBoxManage.  Figuring out how
to use it is a little tricky, because it's not particularly well
documented, but it does work.

> ACCESSING guests needs X11 ? Depends on the guest.
>
> a) Guest = Consele head OS (FBSD, Lunux, etc..) => No need for
> x11/graphics on the local host or any other remote accessing host.
>
> b) Guest = Graphic head OS (windose, any *NIX w/ a graphic interface,
> Macs, etc..) => Yes, You will need x11 or some form of graphic
> interface running on the local host or any other remote accessing host.

VirtualBox supports using VNC or RDP to see the guest's interface.  I've
used that feature to run Windows installs on headless servers.
(I guess an OS that can run a VNC client counts as a "graphic interface,"
though.)