Anybody use the Dell 3010??

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Mon Nov 19 21:14:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 12:18:32PM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 06:00:29 -0500, Jerry wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Nov 2012 11:43:06 +0100
> > Polytropon articulated:
> >
> > > Allow me to provide just one example:
> > >
> > > 	More in the series of bizarre UEFI bugs
> > > 	http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/20187.html
> >
> > That doesn't appear to be a bug. It appears that the code is doing
> > exactly what the designer wanted it to do. At best this was an
> > oversight by the designer; at worse just plain incompetence.

	I heard from "my technician" last night--on his way East for the
	week.  he send the URL for an 18MB file {from Dell} all about
	this new paradigm.  --like I've got the time to much around with
	that much detail... .

	someone, I think down-queue said something about the UEFI having
	been designed to make it all the more difficult to drop on FBSD
	[or anything *except* Doze.  my tech echoed the same thing 8 days
	ago when he dropped off the box.

	I'm sure by now the BIOS has been hacked beyond reason--especially
	with the 64-bit versions.  Still, if I were designing a new "BIOS"
	that supported the vast majority of my users [DOZE], I would use
	every last trick I could dream of to strongly =discourage= anything
	but Windows.

> That's quite possible. We've seen poorly implemented ACPI
> behaviour in "modern" BIOS as well, or manufacturers
> intendedly going "their way" to limit hardware in what
> it can do or what it will support.

	Exactly; not to put to fine a point on this, but this is where I
	smell "greed" as part of the picture/rationale.

> It's just my fear that UEFI won't do better per se, and
> that lazy or incompetent people will screw it up, and
> make it worse.
>
> The article mentions "legacy boot" to restore a somewhat
> "normal" behaviour...

	ha! I tried the "legacy" route for hours without success.  only when
	I selected the UEFI did things start to work.  and then, upon reboot,
	I got the string "Cand Find Boot Sector; press any key to reboot"

	nutshell, I'll scan thru the 18meg file that I have the pointer to.
	but will probably ask for a "less-featureful" model.

> --
> Polytropon
> Magdeburg, Germany
> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...

              Twenty-six years of service to the Unix community.