Anybody use the Dell 3010??

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Mon Nov 19 15:41:26 UTC 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 4:55 AM, Daniel Feenberg <feenberg at nber.org> wrote:

>> The only way for FreeBSD (or Linux, for that matter) to survive
>> in a world where hardware vendors care only about Windows, is
>> to make sure that FreeBSD only depends upon features that Windows
>> uses. If a hardware or firmware specification requires feature X,
>> but Windows doesn't use feature X, then vendors won't test feature
>> X, and FreeBSD can't depend on it being functional. So it shouldn't
>> be required by FreeBSD. It can be used, provided it isn't required.
>> In this case it may mean that FreeBSD must identify itself as
>> Windows, just as all browsers identify themselves as IE.
>>

> The above paragraph is completely meaningless , because neither *BSD , nor
> Linux
> is a marginal operating system .
>
> Please see
>
> http://www.top500.org/statistics/list/
>

> Select from this "Operating System Family"
> where in world's 500 super computers , Windows is on ONLY 3 computers , the
> rest is
> almost Linux 469 , Unix 20 , BSD-based 1 computers and others .
>
> http://www.asus.com/Static_WebPage/OS_Compatibility/
> http://www.asus.com/websites/global/aboutasus/OS/Linux.pdf
> contains Linux distributions supported in ASUS desktop boards .
>
> Some trade marked servers excluded , Linux and *BSD run on many server
> hardware .

It isn't what vendors should care about. I agree they should care about
FreeBSD. But by and large they don't. Arguing that they should serves no
purpose. They have poor moral character, that is why they don't care and
also why they are impervious to argument, except from large customers. The
handful of server vendors that are exceptions do not detract from the
force of my argument.

daniel feenberg