virtualbox with FreeBSD as host

andrew clarke mail at ozzmosis.com
Sun Nov 18 14:08:05 UTC 2012

On Sun 2012-11-18 08:50:34 UTC-0500, Fbsd8 (fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com) wrote:

> By design virtualbox requires a desktop on the host to use the
> virtualbox built in config screens and the only way to access a
> configured and installed guest VM is from a remote PC with a desktop.

No, you can create and configure VirtualBox VMs using the command-line
VBoxManage. I do this over SSH. See the VirtualBox manual (PDF).

Incidentally it's possible to use RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) to
connect and control any VirtualBox guest - including OSes that don't
natively support RDP connections - provided VRDP is enabled for that
guest VM. I do this running when VirtualBox on a Linux host, and can't
confirm it works for FreeBSD hosts, but assume it does.