virtualbox with FreeBSD as host

Fbsd8 fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com
Sun Nov 18 13:50:40 UTC 2012

Mario Lobo wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 01:10:23 -0800
> perryh at pluto.rain.com wrote:
>
>> Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> This would be your problem.
>> How so?  Surely virtualbox _should_ be able to hand off a VT to the
>> XP guest, for it to use as a keyboard, mouse, and display.  (This
>> supposes that the FreeBSD box in question _has_ a keyboard, mouse,
>> and display, and thus has a VT that it can hand off.)
>>
>> Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>>> I have 9.0 installed on my 200gb hard drive, it's configured to use
>>> the first 100gb leaving the second 100gb free. I was going to
>>> install XP in the second half and have a duel boot config. Then I
>>> find out XP has to be install first on the HD ...
>> The easiest solution might be to dd the first 100gb (containing
>> the FreeBSD installation) to the second 100gb, mark the first 100gb
>> as unused, and install XP there if it needs to be in the lowest-
>> addressed part of the disk.  Back up the FreeBSD installation first!
>>
>> Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:
>>> To access the XP graphics interface, you NEED a graphics
>>> environment!
>> XP itself, when running directly on the hardware, provides its own
>> graphics environment.
>
> It also does that when running on a VM but it does not provide a
> graphics environment for the host.
>
>> It should be able to do the same running on
>> a VM with a virtualized keyboard, mouse, and display.
>
> To show a window you need a display that can show it, be it head or
> headless. To diaplay a head, be it local or remote, the display must be
> able to handle graphics to properly show the VM screen (head), and like
> I said, I have no idea on how to do that on a text console screen.

So I was barking up the wrong tree. By design virtualbox requires a
desktop on the host to use the virtualbox built in config screens and
the only way to access a configured and installed guest VM is from a
remote PC with a desktop. So the bottom line is virtualbox=desktop.

Not the outcome I was desiring. Duel boot config is the solution for me.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.