how to correct corrupted ports tree?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sun Nov 18 05:58:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 16:51:11 +0100, C. P. Ghost wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Nov 2012 21:56:21 -0700, Gary Aitken wrote:
> >> I don't see a way to force refetch of the actual ports files
> >> like "distinfo" when portsnap thinks the port is up to date.
> >
> > You cansolve the problem of "few per-file mismatches" by
> > using the traditional CVS approach of updating the ports
> > tree. Only files not matching the current (on-server) content
> > will be updated.
>
> CVSup/csup is deprecated now and shouldn't be used anymore:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/news/2012-compromise.html
>
> We should stop advertizing it as a way to update the ports tree.
> svn or portsnap is the way to go now.

Thank you for changing my inner attitude toward the new
technology. I will try to avoid what "just works" (and
now "worked", past tense). :-)

I really hope a SVN equivalent like csup (a CVS implementation
that is part of the _base_ system) will appear so there is
no need to install something from ports (like cvsup-without-gui
in the past). It should be efficient, fast, and free of bloat.
It should also be easy to integrate it into basic operations
(as shown in my example with the sup/ config file and the
entry in /etc/make.conf, making "make update" a simple task,
both for OS sources and ports). When this is _granted_, one
could think about removing it from the base OS install.

Note that I did mention it because it worked all the years
fast and flawlessly, and I'm using CVS myself for "archiving"
configuration files of different systems locally. I never
thought about migrating this stuff over to SVN, because I
consider it "too voluminous". Maybe I'm wrong, and I should
be corrected.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany