virtualbox with FreeBSD as host

perryh at pluto.rain.com perryh at pluto.rain.com
Sat Nov 17 02:13:57 UTC 2012

Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> > I do not run x11 or any desktop on my 9.0 host.
>
> This would be your problem.

How so?  Surely virtualbox _should_ be able to hand off a VT to the
XP guest, for it to use as a keyboard, mouse, and display.  (This
supposes that the FreeBSD box in question _has_ a keyboard, mouse,
and display, and thus has a VT that it can hand off.)

Fbsd8 <fbsd8 at a1poweruser.com> wrote:
> I have 9.0 installed on my 200gb hard drive, it's configured to use
> the first 100gb leaving the second 100gb free. I was going to install
> XP in the second half and have a duel boot config. Then I find out XP
> has to be install first on the HD ...

The easiest solution might be to dd the first 100gb (containing
the FreeBSD installation) to the second 100gb, mark the first 100gb
as unused, and install XP there if it needs to be in the lowest-
addressed part of the disk.  Back up the FreeBSD installation first!

Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:
> To access the XP graphics interface, you NEED a graphics environment!

XP itself, when running directly on the hardware, provides its own
graphics environment.  It should be able to do the same running on
a VM with a virtualized keyboard, mouse, and display.