WARNING: FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.

dweimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Fri Nov 16 14:17:41 UTC 2012

On 2012-11-15 15:57, Matthias Petermann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> from a freshly installed FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE I did a freebsd-update
> to bring
> it to the latest patch level.
>
> After:
>
> 	# freebsd-update fetch
>
> I got this message:
>
> 	WARNING: FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.
> 	It is strongly recommended that you upgrade to a newer
> 	release within the next 2 months.
>
> What does this exactly mean? Is the whole 9.0 Series approaching EOL,
> or
> does this only apply to the initial 9.0-RELEASE _AND NOT_ to e.g.
> 9.0-RELEASE-p3 ?
>
> Where can I find more information on the planned lifecycles of the
> current
> and upcoming releases? Are there any?
>
> Thanks & kind regards
>
> Matthias

Its all on the website,

Current Release Information:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/

Release engineering Information:
http://www.freebsd.org/releng/

Next release information:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.1R/schedule.html

Its running a touch behind (11-12-2012 was target release
announcement), but I am glad they prefer to do it right rather than on
time.
FreeBSD 9.0-RElEASE-p4 is actually current, but I believe the p4
doesn't show up unless you do a build world.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer