WARNING: FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE is approaching its End-of-Life date.

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Fri Nov 16 01:45:29 UTC 2012

On 15 November 2012, at 17:04, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Andreas> On Thu, 15 Nov 2012 23:46:53 +0100
> Andreas> Matthias Petermann <matthias at d2ux.net> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks for the clearification. One technical thing: is it possible, to upgrade
>>> from FreeBSD 9.0 to 9.1 with the freebsd-update utility?
>
> Andreas> Yes, it is.
>
> Can I go from 8.3 directly to 9.1, or should I stop over at 9.0 first?

For me that was not possible.  My disks were partitioned and labeled when FreeBSD 4.7 was new.  The size of the root partition was now too small for 9.0.  I had to do a complete install and reformat of the drives to get to 9.0.  My root partition was a bit small for 7.x as I had to delete the symbol files to make it fit.