Advanced Format Drive ?

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Wed Nov 14 02:08:40 UTC 2012

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> OK.  I think that I always was doing that anyway.  But I want to be sure
> that I understand... If the size of the BSD partition is a multiple of,
> say, !MB, then the _alignment_ of that partition will likewise (auto-
> magically) be at least 1MB also?

No.  If you start with $0.63, and only add full dollars or tens, you
will still never have an integer amount of dollars.

> Or do I need to set the alignment separately, e.g. my manually running
> bsdlabel?  (Normally, I've just been using what noadays is being
> called "guided" partitioning, you know, with the friendly curses-based
> GUI.  So As with fdisk, I have no real experience using bsdlabee from
> teh command line.  But I guess it is time that i learned how.)

I don't know of a way to make fdisk and bsdlabel do the correct
alignment.  But that's okay, because gpart(8) does everything they do,
and more.  Creating MBRs and bsdlabels is more work, but gpart can do
it, and do the juggling to get the bsdlabel partitions to line up.
Again, I suggest that GPT is the much easier and more versatile way.
But if you insist on MBR/bsdlabel, there are examples of creating it
with gpart in the new gmirror section of the GEOM chapter of the
Handbook:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/geom-mirror.html