high performance server design approach

Fleuriot Damien ml at my.gd
Tue Nov 13 10:57:21 UTC 2012

Define "high performance" , what are your expectations in terms of concurrent connections, requests/second and all ?

Allow me to shed some measure of light here, we're running 16x web servers with nginx doing *permanent* (as in, for all requests) URL rewriting and serving 500 req/s each.

These servers admittedly running debian are behind 4x freebsd boxes using a combination of PF, CARP and relayd on 8.3-STABLE.

The web servers deliver 200mb/second worth of *small* files (roughly 1kb javascripts).
They hardly ever reach 0.25 load average, on 8 cores + hyperthreading.

What I'm getting at here is, nginx *totally rapes* performance-wise, at least for our own needs.

If it is able to deliver 500 req/s (for each server) of small files, surely it can handle the load you're planning on throwing at it ?