well, try here first...

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue Nov 13 08:08:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 23:57:21 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 06:39:52AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 21:22:00 -0800, Gary Kline wrote:
> > > Anyway, linux is
> > > 	installed; the box is on my internal IP net.  I can ssh *out*. to my
> > > 	server, vut from my server or wherever, I cant ssh back in.
> > >
> > > 	doing an % ssh 10.47.0.114  OR ssh tao gives me an instant
> > > 	"Connection refused".  if I try an ssh -X tao I get a string like
> > > 	"Connnection closed".  can any of you network wizards or setup
> > > 	wizards clue me in.  {FWIW:: the ssh stuff is from OpenBSD.}
> >
> > Have you checked that tao is actually running a SSH server?
>
> 	ja vohl.  futher dhclient is there.  I'll go back to comparing
> 	tao to ethic.

The dhclient is a client (just as the ssh program), while
the system has to run some kind of SSH _server_ (sshd on
FreeBSD for example). Additionally, network configuration
and especially firewall has to _permit_ the access to that
specific service (that has to be enabled).

> > The way _how_ to enable it depends on the distribution you're
> > using and is very different among the Linusi.
>
> 	rt., and this is fedora, my least fav distro.  But I've always had
> 	trouble   with ssh, even with FBSD.

There is a nice summary on how to get the OpenSSH server
set up on Fedora:

http://www.techotopia.com/index.php/Configuring_Fedora_Linux_Remote_Access_using_SSH

Basically, it's about installing and enabling it. The article
also discusses how to enable configure the firewall properly.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany