gfc-afc-volume-mon

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Mon Nov 12 01:14:13 UTC 2012

On 12/11/2012 09:40, ajtiM wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I use FreeBSD 9.1-RC3 #0 r242324 mnow. After updtae from 9.1-RC2 to
> RC3 I have a problem with GIMP which start more slow than before and
> top shows me:
>

> THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE   C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND 3 102    0
> 44176K  9256K CPU1    0   1:11 100.00% gvfs-afc-volume-mon
>
> Firefox and Inkscape wok same as before and gvfs-* doesn't show.

I have been running 9.0 all year and have seen this issue but haven't
gone as far as tracking down the cause of it hanging like that. I
wondered if it may have an issue with zfs - I run a pure zfs system.

While it will use 100% cpu and keep the disk busy I have tried letting
it run for a few hours and it doesn't stop.

It is gtk related - a lot of gtk/gnome apps trigger it when starting
even xfce starts it on login, others will trigger/re-trigger when the
open file dialog is used.

My biggest concern is not knowing where it comes from - it is not listed
in any packing list for installed ports. All the build logs from my
tinderbox setup have no mention of it.

Initially I setup a cron job to quit any instance of it every 2 minutes.

Renaming it prevents it being started up and doesn't appear to give any
critical errors, all I get is -

GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: invoking IsSupported() failed for
remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.AfcVolumeMonitor:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ExecFailed: Failed to execute program
/usr/local/libexec/gvfs-afc-volume-monitor: No error: 0