portmaster or ports (packaging) problem ?

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 18:19:26 UTC 2012

Hi,
I hit a problem today during a system update.

There were two libxul ports:
/usr/ports/www/libxul
/usr/ports/www/libxul19
of which the last one was installed:
/var/db/pkg/libxul-1.9.2.28_1/

There was a port to update which died on error:
# portmaster icedtea-web
===>>> The dependency for www/libxul
       seems to be handled by libxul-1.9.2.28_1
===>   Found libxul-1.9.2.28_1, but you need to upgrade to libxul>=10.
*** [build-depends] Error code 1
#

So, I had to manually deinstall www/libxul19 and install www/libxul and try
again.

# portmaster icedtea-web
===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
        Upgrade icedtea-web-1.3_1 to icedtea-web-1.3.1
        Install www/libxul
#

Is the portmaster to blame for not being smart enough and not taking steps
of deinstalling www/libxul19 and installing www/libxul in one step ?
jb