FreeBSD 9.1 and SU+J

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Mon Nov 5 07:47:25 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 11:18 PM, Doug Hardie wrote:
> On 4 November 2012, at 07:04, Bas Smeelen wrote:

>> I guess I was a little off here, it actually worked for / also
>> See further below for the whole story
>> This was all done remote with ssh
>>
>> $ mount
>> /dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
>> /dev/da0p3 on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>> /dev/da0p4 on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>> /dev/da0p5 on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
>> $ su
>> Password:
>> root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # rm /.sujournal
>> root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # rm /var/.sujournal
>> root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # rm /tmp/.sujournal
>> root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # rm /usr/.sujournal
>> root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # uname -a
>> FreeBSD osebart.ose.nl 9.1-RC2 FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 #0 r241106: Mon Oct 1
>> 18:26:44 UTC 2012
>> root at farrell.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
> I can't get that to work on i386.  Here is /etc/rc.d/fsck:
> ____________________________________
>          fi
>
>          echo "Ready for tunefs"
>          /sbin/tunefs -j disable /dev/da0p2
> }
>
> load_rc_config $name
> run_rc_command "$1"
>
> ____________________________________
>

> reboot computer and here is the output from messages:
>
> ____________________________________
>

> Nov  4 14:07:19 Router kernel: Ready for tunefs
> Nov  4 14:07:19 Router kernel: Clearing journal flags from inode 4
> Nov  4 14:07:19 Router kernel: tunefs: soft updates journaling cleared but soft updates still set.
> Nov  4 14:07:19 Router kernel: tunefs: remove .sujournal to reclaim space
> Nov  4 14:07:19 Router kernel: Mounting local file systems:.
>
> ____________________________________
>
> and the output from mount:
>
> Router# mount
> /dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
> devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
>
> ____________________________________
>
> Journaled is still on after 2 reboots.
>
> Router# uname -a
> FreeBSD Router 9.1-RC2 FreeBSD 9.1-RC2 #0 r241133: Tue Oct  2 17:11:45 UTC 2012     root at obrian.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> -- Doug

Hi Doug

This is bad. It did not work for me that way either on the / partition, but
it worked on the other partitions.
Because I have seperate /tmp /var and /usr partition I was able to mount the
/ partition readonly in multiuser mode with mount -o ro / and then tunefs -j
disable and right after that reboot.
It seems that somehow when the / partition gets mounted after disabling the
journal, journaled soft updates is still set and thus still enabled, but
with a reboot it gets cleared?
I don't really understand this.

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.