FreeBSD 9.1 and SU+J

Bas Smeelen b.smeelen at ose.nl
Sun Nov 4 14:00:31 UTC 2012

On 11/04/2012 02:11 PM, RW wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 11:44:28 +0100
> Bas Smeelen wrote:

>>> This is a task for mfsBSD: http://mfsbsd.vx.sk
>>>
>> Hmm, I think you have to make a trip or get some kind of remote
>> console over ip.
>> I tried it remote on a 9.1-RC2 system that has / /tmp /var and /usr
>> as seperate partions
>> For / i can do a mount -o ro / and tunefs -j disable /dev/da0p2 then
>> mount -o rw /
>> For the /tmp /var and /usr filesystems this does not work bcause hey
>> cannot be remounted ro while they are busy.
> A quick and dirty way to do it would be to edit /etc/rc.d/fsck and put
> your tunefs commands at the bottom of fsck_start(), then do a reboot.

Very nice :) Thanks a lot!
I tried this and can confirm it works.
_But_ not all partitions are soft updates without journaling now.
It didn't work for the / partition, I guess because / is mounted rw
before /etc/rc.d/fsck is executed.
For the / partition I guess I will really have to be at the console
starting single user, because mount -o ro en then disable with tunefs -j
disable did not work either. See at the end of this mail.
I wonder if it even can be accomplished when booting single user, which
I cannto test right now.

Doug, if you have more partitions than just / you could go ahead with
the above solution, it worked for me. You can then at least dump data
from your other partitions.

See below:

root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # mount
/dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/da0p3 on /tmp (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
/dev/da0p4 on /var (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
/dev/da0p5 on /usr (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)

edit /etc/rc.d/fsck and added:

/sbin/tunefs -j disable /dev/da0p2
/sbin/tunefs -j disable /dev/da0p3
/sbin/tunefs -j disable /dev/da0p4
/sbin/tunefs -j disable /dev/da0p5

just before
}

load_rc_config $name
run_rc_command "$1"

at the end.

shutdown -r now and I have

root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # mount
/dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, journaled soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/da0p3 on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0p4 on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0p5 on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)

See below for mount -o ro

root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # mount -o ro /
root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # mount
/dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, read-only)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/da0p3 on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0p4 on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0p5 on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # tunefs -j disable /dev/da0p2
Clearing journal flags from inode 4
tunefs: soft updates journaling cleared but soft updates still set.
tunefs: remove .sujournal to reclaim space

shutdown -r now but still

root at osebart:/usr/home/Freebee # mount
/dev/da0p2 on / (ufs, local, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/da0p3 on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0p4 on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/da0p5 on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)

This e-mail message, including any attachment(s), is intended solely for the addressee or addressees. Any views or opinions presented herein are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of OSE.

If you are not the intended recipient of this communication please return this e-mail message and the attachment(s) to the sender and delete and destroy all copies.