Booting 2nd(!) FreeBSD installation sitting on same disk

jb jb.1234abcd at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 22:35:10 UTC 2012

Andre Albsmeier <Andre.Albsmeier <at> siemens.com> writes:

> However, when pressing F3, the system of slice 2(!) is
> loaded. This is due to the fact that boot1 always loads
> the first active FreeBSD slice ;-(.
> Is there no chance to actually honour the fact that F3 was
> pressed and boot from slice 3 without updating the MBR before?

I do not know the story of active slice in FreeBSD, but I know that neither
Windows nor Linux require active partitions (in their jargon) to boot from any
more.
Perhaps it is time to review this requirement in FreeBSD and drop it if
possible.
Opinions are welcome.
If there are no counterarguments, we will create a PR# to start the process.
jb