My freebsd partition changed by Windows chkdsk

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Fri Nov 2 13:40:54 UTC 2012

Jerry skrev 2012-11-02 12:22:
> On Thu, 01 Nov 2012 10:26:33 +0100
> Leslie Jensen articulated:
>
>> I've replaced my dual boot hard drive with an SSD.
>>
>> My hard drive had one 100 GB windows partition and one 300 Gb Freebsd
>> slice with five partitions (/, /usr, /var, /tmp and /home).
>>
>> In order to move my Win7 partition a Norton Ghost program was
>> supplied with the new disk.
>>
>> When trying to clone that partition the process couldn't finish
>> because it needed a chkdsk command to be executed before cloning.
>>
>> I ran a chkdsk c: with the choice of correcting errors.
>>
>> Somewhere in that process the chkdsk program touched my freebsd
>> partition in a way so that it now is recognized as NTFS.
>>
>> That I trusted the chkdsk program to do what I told it to do was in
>> retrospect a bit naive ;-) I do have a backup although it's not as
>> recent as I would have liked.
>>
>> Can you think of any way to perhaps recover the data from the freebsd
>> partition?
>
> Let me get this straight. You ran the program with the "/F" flag, or
> perhaps the "/R" flag which implies "/F", the program then did exactly
> what it was designed to do and now you are bitching about it. Like an
> attorney who never asks a question of a witness without knowing what
> the answer is going to be, never run a program and then hope it somehow
> magically knows exactly what you want it to do. Actually, in this case
> it did exactly what you wanted it to do. Next time run "chkdsk" sans
> flags and it will only report what it would have done.

Yes I ran chkdsk c: /R
It was not my intention to be bitching about it. I just realized that
the outcome or the result of the command was not what I had expected. I
thought that c: would make chkdsk work only with c:!
I've now learned the hard way that that is not the case.
Usually the nice people here on the list can and will help even when
someone makes a mistake.
I hope that there will not be a next time ;-)
/Leslie