Anyone using freebsd ZFS for large storage servers?

Oscar Hodgson oscar.hodgson at gmail.com
Thu May 31 15:32:34 UTC 2012

The subject is pretty much the question.  Perhaps there's a better
place to be asking this question ...

We have (very briefly) discussed the possibility of using FreeBSD
pizza boxes as a storage heads direct attached to external JBOD arrays
with ZFS.  In perusing the list, I haven't stumbled across indications
of people actually doing this.  External JBODs would be running 24 to
48TB each, roughly.  There would be a couple of units.  The pizza
boxes would be used for computational tasks, and nominally would have
8 cores and 96G+ RAM.

Obvious questions are hardware compatibility and stability.  I've set
up small FreeBSD 9 machines with ZFS roots and simple mirrors for
other tasks here, and those have been successful so far.

Observations would be appreciated.

Oscar.