termcap/terminfo magicians anyone? // colors in vim

Thomas Dickey dickey at radix.net
Thu May 31 00:01:43 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 05:33:27PM +0400, Peter Vereshagin wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Being new from linux back in time I tried vim. It had pretty colors in linux for me like that:
>
> http://www.postimg.com/71000/photo-70938.jpg
>
> But in freebsd I have what I have:
>
> http://www.postimg.com/71000/photo-70939.jpg
>
> It 'just works' for me if I 'vim -T linux' but:
>
>     - I'd like to know exact reason to be fixed other than just 'use linux'
>     - It shows colors in ttyvX with TERM=cons25 but it has random '25h'
>       showing up in places when I implement the actions from the begin of
>       vimtutor.

If you tell vim that it's "linux" when it is really cons25, that confuses it.
A "linux" console recognizes an particular escape sequence ending with "25h"
for making the cursor visible (ending with "25l" for invisible).  vim likes to
use that.  cons25 doesn't support it.

As noted in vim's manpage, the -T option should be used only if the
automatic way (setting $TERM correctly) doesn't work.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net