FreeBSD Server

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu May 17 20:29:45 UTC 2012

Hi--

On May 17, 2012, at 10:22 AM, lpeth wrote:
> I have a 8core, 32 GB ram server I built myself. AMD cpu, with Supermicro motherboard. I want to use FreeNAS as a database system, and I'm wondering what it will cost to use FreeBSD with FreeNAS. I see the Version I would like is $40 for a four CD set, but that does not mean I get to use the server version of it. What is the server version going  to cost?

FreeBSD is intended as a server platform; there isn't a different consumer and server version, although you can tune the platform for specific tasks if you like.

FreeBSD CD/DVD images are freely available for download; see:

  http://www.freebsd.org/where.html
  ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/9.0/

FreeNAS is a modified version of FreeBSD, which comes preconfigured for ZFS and filesharing; as far as I can tell, their CD/DVD images are also freely available:

  http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-8.0.4/FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-p2-x64.iso/download

...but you can pay a publisher for a copy instead of downloading, if you prefer.

Regards,
--
-Chuck