Samba acting oddly.

Johan Hendriks joh.hendriks at gmail.com
Wed May 9 20:36:09 UTC 2012

On 06-05-12 16:08, Graeme Dargie wrote:
> I have a problem with Samba, well I "think" it is samba as one machine I have access to when I try to perform an action like create a new folder in my home folder windows spouts that I need permission and would I like to try again.
>
> I guess some background would be useful at this point, I have 3 FreeBSD machines that were running 8.2 AMD 64, some kind souls on this list were able to help me get Samba working using Active Directory, I upgraded to 9.0 when it became available and everything seemed to be fine.
>
> I happened to be needing to create a perl script that would allow two users to chat over a network, so rather than fiddling about with Linux and VM`s .. I just used two of my FreeBSD machines, this is when I noticed the issue.
>
> Only one machine shows this problem, the others let me happily create / delete stuff in the home folder other shares on the problematic machine are fine.
>
> The configuration files for all 3 machines is included below, but I just cannot seen to see why 2 work and 1 does as all three are running Samba35-3.5.6.2 so any help or pointers would be welcome.
>
> Regards
> Graeme
>

> Machine Eris - samba works perfectly
>
> Smb.conf looks like this
> [global]
> workgroup = UNIVERSE
> realm = UNIVERSE.GALAXY.LCL
> netbiosname = ERIS
> interfaces = re0
> security = ads
> allow trusted domains = yes
>
> idmap uid = 5000-10000
> #idmap gid = 15000-20000
> winbind gid = 5000-10000
> template homedir = /usr/home/%U
> template shell = /bin/csh
> winbind cache time = 3600
> winbind nested groups = yes
> winbind use default domain = yes
> winbind separator = |
> winbind enum users = yes
> winbind enum groups = yes
> winbind offline logon = yes
> syslog only = Yes
> socket options =  SO_RCVBUF=131072 SO_SNDBUF=131072 TCP_NODELAY
> use sendfile = yes
> read raw = yes
> use sendfile = yes
> local master = no
> use sendfile = yes
> dns proxy = no
> username map = /usr/local/samba/usermap
>
> # ACL Support
> map acl inherit = yes
> #acl group inherit = yes
> acl group control = yes
>
> # LOGGING
> log file = /var/log/samba/%m
> log level = 1
> max log size = 1000
> syslog = 2
> ### recycle bin code
> # bin
>          vfs object = recycle
>          recycle:repository = .RecycleBin/%U
>          recycle:keeptree = Yes
>          recycle:touch = Yes
>          recycle:versions = Yes
>          recycle:maxsize = 0
> [...]

This is not the solution, but there are some things i notice.

For starters, use sendfile = yes is 2 to 3 times in the config file, one
time is enough.
Secondly in the log section of the troubled system.

log level = 1
max log size = 1000syslog = 2

Is this a typo else it should look like this.

log level = 1
max log size = 1000
syslog = 2

what does the command testparm show on the machines?
Does the command wbinfo -u show you the users?

gr
Johan Hendriks