laptop very hot and noisy

Erich Dollansky erichfreebsdlist at ovitrap.com
Wed May 2 01:44:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tuesday 01 May 2012 20:52:11 Polytropon wrote:
> On Tue, 1 May 2012 13:41:11 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> > On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:25:11AM -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
>
> Not a big issue. Make sure you can remember which parts belong where.
> Make photos if it helps you, or draw some notes. If possible, find
> the service manual of the device and use it as orientation. But I
> think such kind of documentation is no longer part of the "end user
> book present". :-)

you cannot say this in general.

> I've been lucky exploring that my "new" Lenovo Thinkpad T61p can be

This is a different class of machines. They are made to be repaired and they are very large.

I have had a Fujitsu P2120 which died after a lightning strike. So, I disassembled it. The machine is so small that they have had to use all tricks get it this small.

The most interesting thing for me was the affect of damage to this machine. It got hit by something like a sledge hammer when it was not with me. This bend the magnesia cover but did not cause any internal damage. The material is very brittle but no metal dust fell into the machine.

> easily disassembled up to the CPU region and the cooling units
> without trouble, and with _standard_ tools, and you don't need
> to eviscerate _all_ the bowels of the device in order to make
> your way to that component.

The P2120 uses even a special glue to connect the graphics chip with the hear sink. The heat sink cools also the CPU. There is no way on this machine to take the heat sink off and later back, if this glue is not at hand.

Erich