UFS Crash and directories now missing

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue May 1 13:43:51 UTC 2012

On Tue, 01 May 2012 00:37:51 -0700, Edward M wrote:
> On 04/30/2012 10:58 PM, Robert Bonomi wrote:
> > Reading_both_  of McKusick's  "Design of .." books, and the 'Unix System
> > Admininstration Handbook', by Nemeth, et al.  is a good_start_.
> >
> > Having a bunch of the books from O'Reilley&  Assoc. (<http://www.ora.com>),
> > especially for 'standard' tools that you need to get the most out of, is
> > also highly recommended.
> >

>     After realising  I lack ton of  knowledge, especially how the
> internals work. I'm using this advice:-) .

Except buying (good) books, you can also search for
articles on the web. For example, "A Fast File System
for UNIX" by M. K. McKusick is very interesting (at
least it was for me when I lost all my important data).

Some fs-related articles here:
http://www.mckusick.com/articles.html

They help you to understand how things work or what
maybe makes them stop working. :-)

Also the documentation of tools like TSK (ports/sleuthkit),
ex TCT, is very helpful in understanding all the low-level
details that _really_ matter when you _need_ to get your
hands dirty in order to perform a forensic analysis or to
recover important data. Sadly, that documentation has moved
from local storage in /usr/local/share/doc/sleuthkit/ (where
I've seen it the last time) to some on-line place or Wiki,
something _I_ consider "a bad idea" especially in worst case
considerations (i. e. no internet connection); the only
content in README.txt,

	The docs that used to live in this directory now exist on the wiki:
	http://wiki.sleuthkit.org/

doesn't make it any better, sorry.

--
Polytropon