Please help me diagnose this crazy VMWare/FreeBSD 8.x crash

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Thu Mar 29 20:16:25 UTC 2012

> > > Do both 32- and 64-bit versions of FreeBSD crash?
> >
> > We've only seen it happen on one virtual machine.  That was a 32-bit
> > version.  And it's not so much a crash as it is a "disk I/O hang".
>
> It almost sounds like the lost interrupt issue I've seen with USB EHCI
> devices, though disk I/O should have a retry timeout?

That doesn't seem to fit.  Why would a perfectly functional VM suddenly
develop this problem when given a slow underlying datastore (fits so far)
but then the problem *remains* when returned to a fast local datastore,
even on a different host and architecture?  And why wouldn't the other
VM's running alongside develop the same problem?

> What does "wmstat -i" output?

No idea, we reloaded the VM months ago.

... JG