How to suppress PAM/sshd root login warnings?

Duckbreath duckbreath at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 10:41:45 UTC 2012

My system has root login via sshd disabled, and it is going to stay disabled.

I don't care if the whole of the entire internet tries to login as root, because:

Root login is disabled.

However, syslog likes to print little warnings on my console, and in my auth.log, everytime some bot tries.
I would like to disable the displaying and logging of these messages.  Login attempts on non-root accounts are of interest to me, so I don't want to disable those messages; I only want to disable messages in which the attempt is the root user, because:

Root login is disabled.

There is no way I am going to ban all the bots, forget that.  I'm not getting pam_abl or some other auto-black list solution.  Not going there.  I'm OK with them trying, I just want to stop seeing the messages.

Can anyone help me out with this?