Virtual Hosts & Subdomains

David Hughes dghughes82 at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 16 18:19:36 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Forgive me if this is slightly off-topic, but I wonder if I could
trouble you for some advice about setting up website subdomains with
Apache. I currently have a website up and running on a jailed VPS; I've
been trying to set up subdomains so that one might navigate to a certain
area of the site by using a URL of the form blog.mywebsite.net rather
than mywebsite.net/blog.

I've tried reading the official Apache documentation and a number of
tutorials that I've found online, but nothing I've tried has worked so
far. Do Virtual Hosts behave differently if they're within a jail? Or do
I need some sort of DNS registration for subdomains? I've been trying to
figure it out by myself, with little success so far - I'm quite new to this.

Thanks for your help,

David