Editor With NO Shell Access?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Mar 12 22:23:02 UTC 2012

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:19:51 -0700, Edward M. wrote:
> On 03/12/2012 03:10 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> > /etc/shells to work, but a passwd entry like
> >
> > 	bob:*:1234:1234:Two-loop-Bob:/home/bob:/usr/local/bin/joe
>

>    I think this would not  let the user to login,etc

I'm not sure... I assume logging in is handled by /usr/bin/login,
and control is then (i. e. after successful login) transferred
to the login shell, which is the program specified in the
"shell" field (see "man 5 passwd") of /etc/passwd. How is
login supposed to know if the program specified in this
field is actually a dialog shell?

>From "man 1 login" I read that many shells have a built-in
login command, but /usr/bin/login is the system's default
binary for this purpose if the "shell" (quotes deserved if
it is an editor as shown in my assumption) has no capability
of performing a login.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany