Capturing Information About PANIC

Dean E. Weimer dweimer at dweimer.net
Thu Mar 8 15:45:19 UTC 2012

I am having problems with my system panicking and crashing during
Bacula backups.  Is there any way short of enabling full memory dumps to
log the output of the crash?  After a reboot there is no information in
the messages log, and dmesg generally only shows the information since
the reboot started.

The system is running FreeBSD9.0-RELEASE compiled from source, I had it
running bacula backups for close to 2 weeks without a problem, but now
it consistently crashes every night.  The system is running the client
directory and storage daemon, oddly enough it never crashes when backing
up itself, but instead crashes when backing up one of the two remote
systems.  I was beginning to think that perhaps my recompile using clang
was the problem, so I rebuilt the world and all ports without clang but
the problem persists.

I have tested my external eSATA drive on another system, and
temporarily connected the drive to the internal SATA ports to rule out
the eSATA controller and the backup drive as the source of the problems.
This is the only drive in the system that is setup with GEOM_ELI
encryption, so I can't rule out that the encryption process is causing a
load that the motherboard/CPU/RAM is failing to cope with for hardware
reasons.  Though this system shouldn't have a problem keeping up.

FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE #1: Tue Mar  6 18:42:48 CST 2012
     dweimer at webmail.dweimer.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/VESAKERN amd64
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 7750 Dual-Core Processor (2700.06-MHz K8-class CPU)
   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x100f23  Family = 10  Model = 2
Stepping = 3

Features=0x178bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,HTT>
   Features2=0x802009<SSE3,MON,CX16,POPCNT>
   AMD
Features=0xee500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,Page1GB,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
   AMD
Features2=0x7ff<LAHF,CMP,SVM,ExtAPIC,CR8,ABM,SSE4A,MAS,Prefetch,OSVW,IBS>
   TSC: P-state invariant
real memory  = 4294967296 (4096 MB)
avail memory = 3843878912 (3665 MB)
Event timer "LAPIC" quality 400
ACPI APIC Table: <072309 APIC1220>
FreeBSD/SMP: Multiprocessor System Detected: 2 CPUs
FreeBSD/SMP: 1 package(s) x 2 core(s)
  cpu0 (BSP): APIC ID:  0
  cpu1 (AP): APIC ID:  1
ioapic0 <Version 1.1> irqs 0-23 on motherboard
kbd1 at kbdmux0
cryptosoft0: <software crypto> on motherboard

--
Thanks,
  Dean E. Weimer