Network interface aliasing?

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Wed Mar 7 17:02:34 UTC 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 10:59 AM, Bas Smeelen wrote:

> On 03/07/2012 04:24 PM, Mikel King wrote:
>> On 3/7/12 9:39 AM, Brent Clark wrote:
>>> Hiya
>>>
>>> I would like to ask.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to, do network interface aliasing. Im not talking about ip
>>> aliasing.
>>>
>>> I basically want to bind one process to network interface vr0:0 and
>>> another process to vr0:1.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Brent
>>
>> Brent,
>>
>> You can rename an interface to just about anything you wish. If the
>> process allows for interface binding then you can use that new name.
>>
>> http://jafdip.com/index.php/2008/09/08/renaming-ethernet-interfaces-under-freebsd-7x/
>>

> This gives the interface a different name.
> It does not create an alias name for the interface as far as I understand.
>
> Kind regards,
> Bas

True but the alias option in BSD only allows for assigning another IP address to an existing interface. Taking a second look at this request it appears to be more of a subinterface phenomenon and not an alias at all.

As far as I recall FreeBSD does not support this sort of subinterface naming. But I wonder if there's a way to create pseudo interfaces to pull something similar off, however wonder what's the point.

cheers,