openssl from ports

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Sat Mar 3 12:20:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 23:43:32 +0000
Matthew Seaman articulated:

> Stable/9, but this hasn't changed in 9.0-RELEASE:
>
> worm:~:# /usr/bin/openssl version
> OpenSSL 0.9.8q 2 Dec 2010

Matthew, why does FreeBSD continue to use an older version of OPENSSL
for the base system when a newer version is available? While I could
understand, even if not fully approve the use of an older version in
the same major version, its continues use as the de facto standard in an
entirely new major version release is counter productive. There have
been many improvements in the 1.x release of OPENSSL so I fail to see
the logical use of the older version. If anything, they (the FreeBSD
developers) could keep this older version available in the ports system
and use the newer version as the default in the base system.

--
Jerry ♔