openssl from ports

Jerry jerry at seibercom.net
Fri Mar 2 22:16:36 UTC 2012

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 14:00:06 -0800
Randal L. Schwartz articulated:

> I know openssl is in the core, but the version in FreeBSD 8.2 is
> vulnerable to some recent attacks.  (Hmm, I wonder why there hasn't
> been an 8.2 update then...)
>
> I installed the version from ports, which was recently updated, but
> now I'm not sure how to get my other ports to use that port instead
> of the core libraries.  Is it sufficient to restart the apps (apache
> in particular), or do I need to recompile things?

I have used the port's version for quite some time now. I am not sure
if it is still required; however, I placed the following in the
"/etc/make.conf" file:

	WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes

I then rebuilt all of the ports that require OpenSSL. Perhaps someone
else has an easier solution.

BTW, if you find a port that does not build with the port's version,
file a PR against it. I found several that had to be fixed before they
built correctly. Maybe they have all been fixed by now. That was over
two years ago.

--
Jerry ♔