THe number of cdrom in /dev

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Mar 2 00:30:17 UTC 2012

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 15:52:46 -0800 (PST), Me Me wrote:
> My system's been down for a while - anyway I wanted to add
> data from a cd, but the prompt reads "can't have more than
> 32 cd devices or drives."

Which program does show this message? Please explain what
you've done in order to get that text.

How many _actual_ CD drives does your system have? Just to
make sure this isn't the problem... :-)

> I couldn't figure it out  tried alot. So now I'd like to take
> some of the devices out of the directory. However, I "rm" and
> they mostly return.

FreeBSD's current /dev directory is a dynamical thing. It
gets populated automatically under the control of devfs
(at boot time) and devd (at run time) which control several
actions that can be taken.

> I'm careful to keep those I see in the ref 4.2 book but do
> I have to change permissions or file types or should I use
> "mv" to another directory so I don't lose them permenetly?

Which OS version are you currently using?

> anyway if you've got an advisory or a fix for this and your
> not to annoyed please send it.

Just provide a bit more information so your problem can
be diagnosed. At the moment, I'm just guessing. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany