SOLVED: Xorg listening on the WAN? (was Xorg listening on the WAN?)

Walter Hurry walterhurry at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 03:44:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:33:15 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 22:05:50 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>
>> El día Monday, June 25, 2012 a las 09:58:37PM +0200, Matthias Apitz
>> escribió:

>>> $ cat ~/.xserverrc exec X -nolisten tcp -retro
>>
>> sorry, it took me some time to remember where the pointer is:
>>
>> $ man xinit | col -b | fgrep xserverrc
>>
> Thanks again for your assistance. I didn't have a $HOME/.xserverrc, so I
> created one with your contents (permissions 744).
>
> It doesn't seem to have made any difference at all, though. After
> restart, I am still getting the same output from netstat and sockstat.
>
> So I'm still in the dark.

Of course! Looking back at the output from sockstat in my original post,
X is running under root, so no amount of tinkering with files in $HOME is
going to change anything.

So I looked into XDM's configuration files in /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm, and
found what change did the trick:

$ cat /usr/local/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
#
# Xservers file, workstation prototype
#
# This file should contain an entry to start the server on the
# local display; if you have more than one display (not screen),
# you can add entries to the list (one per line).  If you also
# have some X terminals connected which do not support XDMCP,
# you can add them here as well.  Each X terminal line should
# look like:
#	XTerminalName:0 foreign
#
:0 local /usr/local/bin/X -nolisten tcp :0

If there's batter way of doing this, please would someone let me know.