fetch error

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jun 25 20:52:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 16:16:47 -0400, Fbsd8 wrote:
> I think I messed up the fetch setting in the envelope.
>
> Running 9.0 and get this console msg.
>
> env: usr/bin/fetch: No such file or directory
>
> When I enter env command to show all values I see nothing about fetch.

The "env" command is often used as a "bridge" to explicitely
call commands where the actual location is not known or cannot
be predicted, e. g.

	#!/usr/bin/env bash

at the start of a bash script instead of

	#!/bin/bash

Linuxism or when statically linked, as opposed to

	#!/usr/local/bin/bash

default location on FreeBSD.

In what operation do you receive the message? Maybe some typo
in a shell script or Makefile?

Examine closely:

	env: usr/bin/fetch: No such file or directory
	     ^

The leading / is missing, because "usr/bin/fetch" would only
exist when $CWD is /, otherwise not; "/usr/bin/fetch" should
be correct.

	% which fetch
	/usr/bin/fetch
	^

Here the correct path is provided. Maybe you ran into some script
that calls fetch the "bridge" way improperly?

Test:

	% env usr/bin/fetch
	env: usr/bin/fetch: No such file or directory

And now properly:

	% env /usr/bin/fetch
	usage: fetch [-146AadFlMmnPpqRrsUv] ............

It seems that env is used here to "set environment and execute
command"; see "man env" for details.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany